View Single Post
Old 07-12-21, 09:59 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat

Scott must have a copy of my feet in plaster somewhere to build their lasts, because their Road Pro shoes fit like they were made for me. Couldn't be happier. If the buckle closure ever breaks I'm gonna farm-rig that closure with Velcro or something to wring out every gram of life from those shoes. Strava says I have over 10,000 miles on my Ironman since summer 2017, and most of that was wearing these Scott Road Pro shoes.

An easy fix - go to Tandy Leather (I'm sure they are on-line) and get grommets and a grommet kit. (Get the brass 2-piece grommets. I run the smallest and go one size larger at the topmost. When you are finished, you will have the system you now have to pay about $300 for to get pre-installed. Laces. Like we used for over a century. Comfortable! I have very different feet and lace the left shoe very tight at the toe to keep my foot from sliding forward and the higher arched right quite loose. I have comfort I never knew with the left shoe (and no curled toenails) and I no longer have to re-adjust the straps to shift from too much sliding around and blisters to too tight and feeling like my foot bones are in danger of cracking and toe infections. (My fix gear riding accentuates this a lot! Long hard uphills are a foot/shoe challenge like geared riders never see. Rode yesterday on a 1500' ride including one climb in a 42-12/95 inch gear rather than do two stops to flip the wheel. Feet felt fine the whole ride, after and today. In fact I never thought about them until this thread. With straps, they would have been a primary concern that whole ride.)

This is kinda expensive. Each of those grommet kits will set you back about $10 and each pair of shoes will require $5 laces (that need to be replaced every 5 years or so) and $5 of grommets. In return, I get to put my feet in some of the most comfortable shoes I've owned; Lakes I paid no more than $110 for. (You do Scott, I do Lake.)
Likes For 79pmooney: