View Single Post
Old 07-19-21, 11:33 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,914 Times in 1,782 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I'm looking at an Octalink cartridge right now , one of several in the 118.5 spindle length out in the parts box for spindles rescued from the bike co-op.
The design of it is such, that the external shell (made from steel,) is of one piece, and extends the entire length of the cartridge (except for the protruding spindle ends)

It includes the threaded portion on the drive side. So I'm not certain what sort of cutting for removal is envisioned. It does narrow down so no longer in contact with the shell right past the threads a half inch in.

The non drive side cup is some sort off aluminum alloy, as have been all of the ones I've seen in person.

Not sure what the life expectancy of these is, but I've never replaced one either. Seems like a pretty solid piece of engineering. I would just figure out a way to use it as it sits, if it were me.
Thanks, 3a. If it's got a 118 mm spindle, I'll drop by with a 6er of beer for the added stress, pay the guy for his time, and hunt down some old cranks (might try to polish off the shimano markings if I do go full Campagnolo for everything else). Not sure what I'll do if it's 109, but it sounds like it might be time to call it.

Most of my riding has been (and after getting hit to make my wife happy will probably exclusively be in the future) on a trainer on Zwift. Right now, I use rollers with a fork stand, so I never get off the big chainring, so, if I used this bike exclusively for that, I could get away with a 2x. I'd been hoping that, since this is essentially a parts build other than the frame and a couple things, I could use insurance money (if I ever get it) to get a smart trainer - in which case I'd want a triple again - but, if I stay on the rollers, I could even move to 1x.

I think he was hoping to hammer the spindle completely through the cartridge and then cut out what was left. I'd heard that at least the older octalink cartridges were needle bearings DS and ball bearings NDS to make up for the fact that there was less room for balls due to the bigger spindle, and were pretty reliable. Assuming the heating/cooling/solvents, didn't strip the grease from the cartridge.