Old 07-30-21, 01:53 PM
chiefsilverback

Bikes: (N+1) - 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Bike build, what frame?

Earlier this year I completed a drop bar 1x conversion my Cannondale Quick 4 'hybrid' and it's made for quite a nice gravel bike for my morning rides on road/gravel/trail here in southern NH. Having just completed a 150 bike packing trip on it over the border in VT, with ~15,000' of climbing and descending, and worn through both front and rear V brake pads due to all the dirt and grime, and thinking about options to add at least a front disc, I realized that my rims are also nearing the end of their lives.

This leaves me with three options:

1. Replace my QR, rim brake rims and carry on
2. Go for a brake 'mullet', with a new fork, and new rims
3. New bike

I'm leaning toward option 3, knowing I've already got the drivetrain, bars, stem, and saddle, so I need frame, fork, wheels and brakes, and maybe BB depending on frame.

So with that said any recommendations for a gravel frameset and fork, sub $1000, 45 - 50mm tire clearance on a 700c, lots of bosses and mounting points, that will be good for 30 - 40 mile morning rides and not feel too out of place fully loaded on a multi-day bike packing trip?

A few options I'm considering:

Kona Sutra ULTD - might be a bit too MTB for what I want, but the Sutra LTD isn't available as a frameset anymore
State Bicycles 6061 All Road - only has clearance for 45mm 700c, but can clear 2.1" 650b, so maybe two wheelsets and use the squidgy, grippy 650b for bike packing
Nordest Albarda/Super Albarda - well reviewed, available with either steel or carbon fork

Anybody have any experience with any of these, or recommendations based on what you've built/ridden?

Thanks in advance.