View Single Post
Old 01-03-22, 12:41 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
When I wanted to speed up the break in process, I soaked my Brooks saddles in cold water for up to 15 seconds. No more. You do not want to get it saturated, only slightly moist, and when I did use water, I stayed within a few blocks of home so that if it started stretching out too fast, I could get off of it right away. Then I could dry it out, add Proofide, and then start using it.

But if you want to have a flimsy hammock for a saddle, do as the author says.

I was on an ACA trip several years ago. The guy with the upside down LHT in the photo was checking his tires for glass, etc., the night before. Left his bike upside down that night. And thunderstorm in the middle of the night. When I got up, his saddle was soaking in a puddle. But, he had never tried to keep it dry in rain so he probably never noticed what happens after you soak a leather saddle in a puddle for several hours.

Lon Haldeman is more than just an author.

I've done the breakin and two days later completed a 300k. So, I completely disagree with much of what is written on this thread, especially the notion that there are no dimples on broken in saddle.

Just sharing Lon's blogpost for those with an open mind.