View Single Post
Old 02-13-22, 06:24 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
YES IT DOES, it gives them 36 years of experience using the technique. I guess from what you're saying is that you would rather go see a first time heart surgeon, and you're going to be his first heart surgery, since he or she is using the same technique that a heart surgeon who has done 100's using the "same" technique, so what's the difference? Yeah, that's what I thought.
The thing about your analogy is that while the novice may not initially be as skilled as the guy who's done it hundreds of times, he's also not limited by having done it hundreds of times. My old boss, back before he lost his marbles, used to change his area of focus every couple years, because mostly, groupthink and conventional wisdom take over, and you need to look at it from the outside, the way someone new to the field does. After a few years, you lose that fresh perspective and end up thinking just like everyone else.

Now, there are, of course, people who continue working in one field and manage to keep innovating. But there are a lot more who fall into groupthink and conventional wisdom.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles