View Single Post
Old 07-02-21, 11:55 AM
AlphaFoxtrot216

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BMC MTB Warranty woes... advice wanted

Hi, newbee poster here. Apologies if this is in the incorrect section.

UK-based cyclist here. I've been recreationally cycling for about 10 years to keep fit.

My cycling has upped significantly during COVID, through both commuting to 'home office’ (4 miles a day round trip) and longer workout rides covering roads/paths/bridalways at lunchtimes/after work/weekends (6-20 miles ontop of that per day, on average). I’m using a MTB with mtb tyres, (basically as 'resistance training' :-) ), and to give me flexability over routes.

In 2017 I bought a lovely 'entry-ish-level' BMC Sportelite hardtail MTB (alloy frame). All fine, lovely to ride, and during past 14 months it has received a number of upgrades including a nice pair of £350 DT Swiss wheels, upgraded brake rotors, as well as Scwalbe marathon plus tyres to resist flats.

About 6 weeks ago, while cleaning the bike I notice a 3mm hairline crack in the seat stay/seat post weld, accompanied by creaking/clicking which has become more frequent. The frame has around 6.6k miles on it, around 95% on ‘low stress' sufaces (roads/tarmac paths), rather than trails (and half of this done in the last 12 months). 4 years into a 5 year warranty, while disappointed at this failure, I was expecting replacement frame (alloy can’t be easily repaired I understand)…..

My dealer has had long back and forth with BMC; upshot is they are refusing/unable to replace the frame and offering to refund the original purchase price (c.£600) as a credit for the store (who no longer stock BMC, and has a limited range of other brands).

None of the store’s MTBs are compatible with my recently-purchased wheels (650b, skewers), meaning I have an expensive stranded asset after a very short life. Also most of their MTBs are 29ers rather than 650b wheels.

Therefore, buying a new bike at credit price or with top up from me still leaves me with a number of 'entry level' parts, namely wheels, rotors and tyres meaning that I will have to further pay to upgrade back. I therefore feel rather cheated (my tyres still have 6-12 months life in them at current rate of use, and my IceTech rotors another 8 months of life, and wheels/hubs are virtually brand new).

I know a manufacturer isn't responsible for any after-market parts I add on, however I would argue, in terms of stated warranty of 'equivalent parts', any warranty resolution should also be compatible with the original (and therefore upgraded spec) parts, and not render such parts obsolete. In the currently proposed resolution I will be SIGNIFICANTLY out of pocket to get a new bike up to the same standard (to the tune of around £500 plus labour, on top of any additional cost of a new bike).

I really want to insist on a replacement frame, and feel that the manufacturer should hold stock to honour warranty agreements. If they cannot provide a new frame, the credit should be sufficient to cover the cost of a new bike to AT LEAST same specification as the one I now own. I feel very let down by BMC. I know my retailer is arguing my case, but also know they will benefit £££ if I end up buying a new bike and compatible parts...

Can anyone advise on my 'rights', any precedents, or the ‘magic words’ on how best to manage this situation? Should I consider taking BMC to small claims court?
I can’t be the first person in this situation, so would appreciate hearing other’s experiences.

Thanks
Alpha Foxtrot 216

Last edited by AlphaFoxtrot216; 07-02-21 at 11:59 AM.