Old 04-21-20, 11:36 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
I have hope. I’m still working 40 hours a week, I ignore the sensationalized media outlets (all of them) that are screaming/yearning for the End of Days, and I ride my bike to put a smile on my face. Having the structure of a workout plan seems to be the only sense of control that I have outside of work, so I’m not giving that up.
THIS! I have sympathy for urban folks who've lost their jobs and are literally trapped inside, but for huge swaths of the country, we're still working (albeit with huge constraints), and that daily training ride is absolutely essential therapy and tension release. Watching my power numbers respond to training is even more fulfilling, given that I'm not getting to test myself against fellow racers.

I see no reason not to train on the assumption that races will resume in June, or July, or sometime this year. If I miss road season altogether, I'll be a monster for CX season and maybe tackle some of the longer gravel races I haven't done because I'm usually burned out from road season. If there's no winter season, I'm going to come into next spring fitter and better trained than I've ever been.

It does no good to be fatalistic. The pandemic will end at some point, and those of us who've stayed healthy and sane are going to come out of this much better than those of us who give up.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean: