wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Here's a link to the BMJ paper. I scanned it and did not see where their methodology screened for causes of injury. This would mean that a hospital admission for a injury (e.g. a cycling stress injury) not directly related to other road traffic would be counted as well.
Right. I only skimmed the paper, but was curious as to whether this includes all cycling-related injuries or only those incurred directly through commuting.

On the one hand, many of us commuters also ride recreationally. IME, group road rides are a heck of a lot more dangerous than my daily commute, and I've witnessed and known people that have incurred some fairly gnarly injuries as a result of crashing on group rides and races. Same for MTB enthusiasts.

On the other hand, many of us commuters also ride for the purpose of general transportation. I think most people on this forum are probably using appropriate safety gear, such as lights after dark, but this is not universally true. That's just to say that riding into work in the daylight is a bit different from heading home from the pub in the dark without headlights; the latter is a bit more dangerous.

As a general rule, I do not believe that commuting to work is particularly dangerous; it's the other cycling activities that can be problematic.