Old 09-17-21, 09:40 PM
EB_AZ
Bikes are pretty neat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pcons713
Here's my second dropbar mtb build - 1993 Trek 950. Almost all original aside from the conversion. Great handling and fit using a threaded-to-threadless stem converter. Using the MicroShift 3x7 brifters everything works well, though the FD indexing is a bit off due to the mismatch of road-mtb pull ratios. I have a barrel adjuster to make this manageable, but needing to stop before a big climb and make adjustments to use the small ring is a bit annoying. Any suggestions or tips aside from replacing the original Deore LX FD with a touring FD?
Sweet build pcons! Thanks for sharing this here. These 90's Treks make such classy drop bar conversions, especially with a modern bar/stem setup.

If you don't mind me asking, what make/model of threaded to threadless stem adapter did you use here? I am doing a really similar conversion on a 1992 Trek 7000 with a 1 1/8" threaded headset (same Deore LX groupset that will be coupled to the same 3x7 Microshift shifters on a modern bar/stem setup) but am struggling to find a 1 1/8" to 1 1/8" adapter that is tall enough (and reputable/safe enough) to allow me to use a more common 7° stem rather than a normal/shorter adapter and high-rise 35°-40° stem (like I had to do on an '89 Hardrock build I did last year) to achieve a similar stack height and bar position. Your adapter extension and stem setup is what I am looking for as well, so any and all information you can provide here would be much appreciated!

Last edited by EB_AZ; 09-17-21 at 10:22 PM.