Old 10-04-21, 01:56 AM
pcons713

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
Zooming into your pic, I'd say your front derailleur is mounted too high. Try lowering it down to where you are a few millimeters of above the big gear teeth, align it parallel to the big cog, and try again. That should be a good derailleur for what you attempting.
Originally Posted by fishboat
PCons713,
I was going trough my 970 today and had to disconnect the FD cable..which means I "lost" my perfect nice-shifting setup on the front end. It was tough getting it back(apparently I stumbled into the right setup when I first assembled it on the first try..). After futzing with it for a while with marginal success I disconnected the cable, loosened up the inline barrel adjuster to about mid-travel and started from scratch. Followed a mix of Calvin Jones/Park Tool video and RJ-Bike Guy's video..a little more tweaking & I now have good FD shifting back. Whole setup (success) seems to be particularly sensitive to the low limit screw adjustment. Determined my RD hanger was a bit out of alignment(slight DR rumble after completely setup) and fixed that..but that's a different issue. Please post back if you ever get yours adjusted in. I may be picking up another similar bike(same components) and it would be good to know where you netted out.
Yes, it has required a bit of adjusting and seems like it will work out well. Still not 100% but it is getting there, and a little touch to the barrel adjuster mid-ride is ok for now.

Originally Posted by EB_AZ
Sweet build pcons! Thanks for sharing this here. These 90's Treks make such classy drop bar conversions, especially with a modern bar/stem setup.

If you don't mind me asking, what make/model of threaded to threadless stem adapter did you use here? I am doing a really similar conversion on a 1992 Trek 7000 with a 1 1/8" threaded headset (same Deore LX groupset that will be coupled to the same 3x7 Microshift shifters on a modern bar/stem setup) but am struggling to find a 1 1/8" to 1 1/8" adapter that is tall enough (and reputable/safe enough) to allow me to use a more common 7° stem rather than a normal/shorter adapter and high-rise 35°-40° stem (like I had to do on an '89 Hardrock build I did last year) to achieve a similar stack height and bar position. Your adapter extension and stem setup is what I am looking for as well, so any and all information you can provide here would be much appreciated!
I'm using a no-name stem adapter which I bought a while ago, so I don't know which website. I can't recall how tall this one is but I know its either 160 or 180mm. In this photo it isn't quite extended to the max height, so I can still bring the tops level with the saddle if needed. Maybe I'm wrong, but I haven't heard of many quill stem failures on the fork insert part so I'm not very concerned about the reputability. I think most fail near the handlebar clamp.

Last edited by pcons713; 10-04-21 at 03:48 AM.