View Single Post
Old 06-12-22, 11:16 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
I've been super busy remodeling a bathroom and have not been able to wrench or ride. However before the bathroom I did a 42 mile ride on Paramount bring the miles up to 149. I also decided to rock the World, I did this because I wanted to compare the similarities and differences between.

I've had the World since the beginning of the lockdown. Both were frame only purchased. I tried to build period or as original as I could. Between the two the black is bigger than the orange. The orange has more flex really feels like a ground hugger. The black does have flex but it feels stiff compared. I would take the Shimano GS over the Suntour vGT, I would take the Shimano Arrow front derailleur over the Suntour ARS. The brakes are a wash the orang has Diacomp levers with 610 Weinman front and back on the orange. The red dot brake levers are great, the Diacomp levers were just fine. The shifters I prefer the Shimano over the ratchet on the black. I expected the Campy wheels on the Paramount to be better, they were not. The Shimano wheels are really fast.

I find that on he paramount the new kenda tires really really suck compared the original tires on the World. I felt like a slug on the Paramount with those tires, true slug, that is a Kenda slug that can gobble the miles in comfort. The tires really have me wondering, I'm thinking I'll do a wheel swop.

The Orange World frankly is a performer built at a time of when the Yen was low to the dollar.

Onto the Bottecchia, once again I need to resize a pinched seatpost clamp to 27.2. I had a minor disappointment with the bb, the cups are good but the spindle as a chunk. The headset rebuilt clean I found some Suzie black hub wheelset I more or less have parts to come together but brake levers are the weak link in the project.