Old 12-30-22, 11:17 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
I've got the mixte on the brain & I just can't quite shake it. I think a classic styled drop bar mixte frame built to modern standards like 1&1/8 threadless, disc brakes & carbon forks with sporty/aero-ish "endurance" geometry would be the bees-knees.

Soma Fab seems to be the only place that has a mixte of any kind on offer with their Buena Vista model. The "purchase" button redirects to a "404" error.

Rivendell is perpetually out of everything. It's a wonder they can stay in business...Even if I wanted to sit bolt-upright like the Omafiets Grant has decreed is the only "proper" fit, any tech newer than 1993 seems to have escaped him.

The ancient mixte's at my co-op rock heavy 1010/1020 gas pipe noodle frames of long obsolete "standards" in anything other than what would be considered an ergonomic "sporty" fit.

What gives?

Is there any True Temper OX Platinum, Reynolds 853, or Vari-Wall ThermLX, mixtes out there suitable for fast gravel & spirited group rides?

Though I have a surplus of weight-weenie goodies in the parts bin, I have the feeling most self-respecting frame-builders would laugh me out of their shop for asking such a request that defies convention...That it defies convention is sort of the appeal, if I'm being honest. But I want to be armed with a scratch pad of examples &/or a handful of lugs should a custom order prove to be the only path.

Short of a custom build, is there any honest-to-goodness modern mixte's for sale in 2023?

Edit for clarity: Step-through & mid-step bikes are down the hall to the left. I specifically am asking about the 2 tubes from the top of the headtube extending to the rear dropout in classic French style.
A mixte frame will always be heavier and less responsive than the equivalent diamond frame. Bottle cage location can also be an issue. Unless you need the step-through frame to deal with a physical limitation, there are no benefits and only detriments on offer.