View Single Post
Old 05-14-23, 12:22 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 490 Posts
When I bought my Rudge almost 4 years ago, it had some (1970's?) Regency (Japan) tires on it that served me well. The rear was fading away, though, and the rubber around the beads had crystalized, breaking off into flakes and chunks whenever I changed a tube. Those tires had a 7mm white stripe. The time had come for my Rudge to wear some new rubber, so it received N.O.S. Michelin Sport white-walls, made in Stoke-on-Trent, England. There is no p.s.i. recommendation on these tires, so I have them pumped-up to the same spec as my earlier tires, which is 50 p.s.i. I had to bring my rear axle a little forward in the dropout, because these tires were contacting inside the fender (they had appeared to be about the same profile as the Regencies). Not only are these Made in England, but there was even a small Halford's tag on the cellophane, which looked hand-wrapped in spirals around each tire. These were in New York state, and I don't know the story as to how they got there. The instructions specify the use of powdered chalk on the tube and rim-strip upon installation. As you may have noticed, the bike is minus a chain. Mine was stretched, so I have a Renold Elite on its way from Germany.

Likes For 1989Pre: