Old 05-05-20, 09:58 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Listening to Music via Headphones?
Originally Posted by caloso
I listen to podcasts with one (usually the right) earbud in. It’s no different than listening to the car radio with the driver’s window open.
Originally Posted by GlennR
Difference is in a collision with another car you have a seat belt, air bags and 3000# of metal surrounding you. On a bike you have spandex and 15# of carbon fiber.

But to each their own.

Everyone evaluates their own safety such as people riding wearing masks and not helmets (but that's a whole different topic)(.
Just about an hour ago I posted to this current thread (on the Tandem Forum), "A
dvice for communications while listening to music and such?”
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
I losten to audiobooks 10 hours a day or so as I work alone it is not distracting to me it is normal

I operate my machines and do far more attention needing work while listening. I even read on the net. been doing it for maybe 20 years. a phone call is an idea though.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Frankly, I don’t read the Tandem Forum nor have I ever ridden a tandem, but I noted this thread on the New Posts.

I don’t bother to respond to popcorn threads about listening to audio devices while riding, but I have posted about the value of listening:
Originally Posted by Sapperc
You are out riding in nature. Why contaminate the experience with urban noise? Get in tune with yourself, your bike, and whatever is happening all around you]

Cycling affords a chance to breath, think, recharge and get in touch with your environment. Happy 50th Earth Day!
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
It also affords an opportunity to listern to audiobooks, podcasts, music, etc. for those who prefer it.

I am one who prefers audiobooks and have listened to hundreds while cycling. When I want a change in pace for spinning my pedals, wy recent short playlist is:...
I recently posted about the advantages of such analytical diversions IMO:
Originally Posted by BobbyG
I also listen to spoken word podcasts at a low volume in my curbside ear. I can hear traffic fine. On the rides I don't listen, or if I don't like the podcast and pull the earbud out I don't feel I gain any extra situational awareness.

My guess would be that picking one horn out of the Manhattan cacophony of horns, and echoes off the buildings, would be daunting in and of its self.

Whats more, I feel that when listening to spoken word podcasts in my curbside ear at a low volume, I can hear traffic better than when I'm in my car with the windows up with no music or podcasts.

However, it's been my experience that when a music clip is played, even in one ear, I start to loose my situational awareness. I think it has something to do with the way the human brain works....
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
...I feel safer wearing headphones than not, because my brain sometimes it can rely on my hearing to hear cars behind me, when the only thing that's actually affective is to actually look.

Wearing headphones makes my brain realize that I'd better look - which is far far safer than hoping a car passing me is making enough noise to hear it.

You can't rely on your ears for knowing what's behind you, you have to look.
Well said, @PaulRivers. I agree that a controllable external auditory source can help to focus on the task at hand, rather than distract.

For myself, I work at preparing reports depending on careful detailed analyses, and I always have a talk show on. It definitely focuses me, even though I don't pay much attention; it's more a background awareness.

It seems to fill in my mind in addition to the current purposeful activity so my concentration has no other place to wander.

In fact, if there is no ambient “distraction,” the silence is deafening (and I don't have to worry about a car plowing into my desk).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-05-20 at 10:15 AM.