Old 01-20-12, 09:22 AM
PatKendall

Bikes: Roubaix Comp Triple

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
The Roubaix is one bike that is noted for comfort. The longer headtube helps in this but the bike is "Probably" the most comfortable performance bike out there.

But Bike set up is the critical factor.

I made a few mistakes with my first road bike 6 years ago. Frame one size too small- and to alleviate back and neck pain--I raised the bars to just above the saddle.

For my body--that was wrong. As I found out with my second bike- I prefer a longer stretched out ride position and the bars were 4" below the saddle. Next bike and I went for some comfort and set the bars level with the saddle but have gradually adjusted the height--To be 4" below the saddle. So I would suggest that Fit is possibly one of the critical factors.

And on neck ache--This took some training after 16 years of MTB's and at the gym I put my neck through some mobility tests. I did not have the movement I thought I should have so gentle weights for a few sessions and my neck loosened up and had more mobility. The other thing I did was take the visor off my MTB helmet so I did not have to raise my head quite so much to look under it.
Stamfam, that's interesting. To me it's counter-intuitive, though I have not doubt that its worked for you. Thanks for the input.

Let me ask this. If the fitting is done "right," is it safe to assume that a higher handlebar will result in less stress on the neck and shoulders? Seems logical and I've gotten some relief as we've tweaked the fit and raised the bar.