MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10193 Post(s)
Liked 5,900 Times in 3,179 Posts
From another forum
Ok, first the Pilot was onboard, but they consider that role as a consultant. Captain still has ultimate authority at all times.
After watching the video a few times and looking at the ECDIS tracks this was definitely a mechanical failure in the main plant of the vessel. That being said, main systems like STEERING are always on a battery backup system. You could have a complete blackout of the vessel and have full control of the rudder. We see black smoke pouring out of the stack of the ship when she got power back, this was almost certainly the bridge throwing it into full astern, and by that time one of the hooks was on its way to the bottom would be my guess. Worst possible situation to be in for a shiphandler Here are my views:

Lost main propulsion, but steering was on back-up power which means you had a rudder. She was already lined up for going under the bridge. 8.5 knots on a 7-hatch 15,000 TEU containership will take you quite a ways. Why didn't they coast past the bridge first?

Throwing it into reverse seems like a good option right? These vessels are single screw, with a BIG prop. If anyone has ever maneuvered a big prop vessel you know what happens when you throw it in astern. Does the vessel stop immediately? No, and your stern starts walking like a mother****er one way or another depending on if you have a right-handed or left-handed screw. Exhibit A is the video. Right after the smoke pours out of the stack she swings to starboard towards the span she hit. That's because her prop sucked the stern to port at a good rate since it was at high RPMs.

Tugs are a good idea, but not practical at anything over 4 knots. Most tugs highest speed is 8 knots, tugs wouldn't have made a difference here. Bow thrusters don't do **** past 2 knots either.

I am not one to armchair quarterback these situations as I was not on the bridge. However, it is apparent the better course of action (the one I would have done myself) was this:
Lose power as you're lined up to go under the bridge at 8 knots. Verify you still have steering, 8 knots is more than enough water going over the rudder for steerage. At least get through the bridge then run her ass aground to deal with the main plant loss problem. Even if the wind starts slowing you down and pushing you towards one of the spans it is WAY better to brush along a span with the side of the ship then hit it the way they did.

But as I said I was not on the bridge, and do not have all the factors that they were going through.
Likes For MoAlpha: