View Single Post
Old 01-17-22, 11:30 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by M.Lou.B
Hello Russ,
thank you so, so much for your reply. I really appreciate the metric ton of good advice. Switching to a lighter 2xsomething crank set is definitely something I will consider in the future once I'm ready to invest in a new set of shifters. You make a good point that a 2 piece is lighter than a 3 piece.
My next plan is to upgrade to some lighter tires, as well as hopefully tubes and a lighter wheelset, though I'm not quite sure yet which one to get. Any recommendations on what to look for would be fantastic. I'm looking at one with 700g front and 1200g rear wheel, is that any good?
Thank you big time for the information on that my BB crankset is English treaded. I learnt that it was most likely a square bottom bracket, so a threaded type, but we weren't sure if English or Italian. Thank you so much! You really know your way around these vintage gems.

I appreciate you not calling me crazy for wanting to tinker with my bike. Thanks for all the help and great advice.
Best regards!
Actually the switch in cranks will probably be more than you realize since they came with a heavy BB and typically cheaper steel chainrings, the 7500 and 7600 got the nicer stuff.
1900g for a wheelset will be a nice improvement, if they're the more aero 750 series rims those things are probably close to 1200g just the rims.
The BB is absolutely english threaded, Trek is an American brand and never made a bike that I have heard of with Italian threads.