View Single Post
Old 12-14-22, 04:08 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by no67el
I had my right hip replaced 3 years ago, at the age of 51. I'd worn it out with big mileage running, rowing, bone spurs, arthritis etc. I had been in pain for 3-5 years prior, with decreasing range of motion, bone impingement at the top of the pedal stroke, etc etc.... I put off having the operation for years, nervous about replacing something "natural" with a piece of metal/ceramic/plastic--- but when I finally did it, I was delighted with the results. I was cycling on an indoor trainer within a week, and on the road again within 2 months. My surgeon has said there are no real restrictions on activity with the anterior surgical approach--- far less worry about dislocation, etc. Yes a severe crash could break the implant-- but it would have to be a crash sufficient to fracture a natural hip as well.... so the risk is about the same if you're going out on the road, regardless.

I have regained much of my original hip function, and I am pain-free--- so I am a great believer at this point. I suppose I could run into problems 10-15 years down the road, but this new hip has allowed me to continue my athletic life, which is worth a million as far as I'm concerned.

Being fit and healthy before the surgery leads to better outcomes, of course--- which to my mind is even more reason to get the operation before pain and disability rob you of fitness!
51 is young but if you need it as you obviously did there is no point in suffering.
I’m 69 so not much chance I will wear the new part out.
Now eight weeks since surgery and I have nearly full mobility ( more than I did before) and no pain.