View Single Post
Old 07-25-21, 04:34 PM
antimonysarah

Bikes: Nishiki Bel-Air, Brompton P6L, Seven Resolute SLX, Co-motion Divide, Xtracycle RFA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 33 Posts
[QUOTE=GhostRider62;22156980]I doubt anyone could feel the 6-8W of a dyno hub of 3-5 watts of a Rohloff hub. Imperceptible doesn't mean irrelevant

I am a low power, efficiency minded rider.
/QUOTE]

Me too, and I absolutely can, in some conditions, feel the dyno hub. Two stories: one, I was on a training ride (had intended to do ~200k) a little while before my first 400k. I headed out a a familiar way, but going further out it than I had in past, and was like "man, either I am not recovered enough from my last wind, or there's more headwind than was predicted. So I decided to turn around earlier than planned, aided by a roadside ice cream stand. Got in the ice cream line, and glanced over at my bike, and, where I'd leaned it in the shade, I could see the standlight still faintly glowing. Turned it off, ate my ice cream, and got back on: there was, in fact, basically no wind, as expected. Though I did turn around anyways, since 85 miles was going to be plenty.

Second story: we're about 500k into a 600k, I'm riding with two other guys. One skinny, one not (I am also not skinny). As we descend the rollers, us two larger riders quickly pull away from our thinner compatriot, and then I, slowly, start to take the overall lead. The other big guy asks me what I'm doing to get more aero. I ask him if he minds sharing what he + his rig weigh -- he and I weigh about the same, he's maybe got a few pounds more stuff loaded on his bike but it's very close. On the next couple of rollers, I match his posture -- tucked if he's tucked, fully upright if he is, and the same thing keeps happening. So I tell him to turn off his lights, match his posture once more, and we go down the next hill in perfect unison.
Likes For antimonysarah: