Old 09-21-21, 08:58 PM
MyRedTrek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I've never seen an on bike chain scrubber that I thought was a good design. The concept itself is probably flawed, so I guess the one you're talking about is as good as any of them. I do not understand the reluctance of many to simply remove the chain for cleaning, but there are many things I don't understand.
Going by what I've read elsewhere there's no need to get the chain factory clean including inside the rollers, that the goal is to get the majority of the crud off, which the cleaner does. I'd say the Filzer/Bikehand with its four brushes, magnet, built-in fill port and the way it keeps the chain in a straight path which facilitates both easy loading and easy movement of the chain is well designed - the main flaw being that it's plastic and subject to fractures. Too bad they don't make an aluminum version of it the way Park Tool has done.

Originally Posted by canopus
I keep chains in rotation, if i need a clean one, pop the link, thread the clean one and put the link on and boom, I’ve beat your time by 10 minutes, and ALL off my chain mess is where it should be, not nearly all. All those cleaners ever did was spray dirty fluid all over the floor as it dripped off the chain as it comes out of the tool.
Aren't you just deferring the time? If you're rotating chains at some point you're spending additional time cleaning them.

I always clean the chain and rinse it in the driveway on a bike repair stand - the chain crud returns to the environment it came from along with some biodegradable citrus degreaser. More of a problem if you live in an apartment I suppose but I'm pretty sure a long, shallow plastic tub that you can get at Walmart would catch the runoff.

Last edited by MyRedTrek; 09-22-21 at 08:26 PM.