View Single Post
Old 02-22-22, 05:22 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,898 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by benetga
Thanks for your replies. So it looks like I'll be shopping for a KIckr Snap.
I started out like you, on an old 'dumb' trainer, using Zpower on Zwift, and shifting gears to make my effort mimic the gradient. I did that through the Smoke Season of 2020 here in NorCal, through the end of the year. It works, as you know, and you don't NEED more than that. BUT, at the end of 2020 I got a Kickr Snap, and it makes a BIG difference! Much more engaging, and instead of shifting gears to create resistance when you reach the hills, you shift to counter the resistance, just like on the road. This makes it a lot more 'road like'. Other benefits include being able to join Zwift races; Erg mode for structured workouts; real power numbers.

Speaking of 'real power numbers, you may be dismayed by how much lower your numbers are when measured by a real power meter instead of estimated by Zpower. I found it hard to beat some PRs on Zwift segments that I'd set when using Zpower, even though I'm fitter and faster now than I was then.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles