View Single Post
Old 07-01-22, 10:46 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions so far, some good options there!

Originally Posted by staehpj1
Just noting that folks will run a really wide range of tires for touring. The Rene Herse 700x44 Endurance casing @ 425g and while a lot wider is way lighter than the widest marathon plus (700x38 and 960g). So a much bigger tire is over two pounds lighter for the pair of tires. The Plus has a super stiff sidewall. Some don't mind that or maybe even like it, but it means whatever is the opposite of a lively ride feel. So the plus may be great for someone who doesn't value a lively ride feel, or care about a couple pounds of rotating mass and total weight, or wants to minimise punctures above all else.

A tire like the Rene Herse is the other end of the spectrum. It will have a lively ride feel and light rotating mass and the cost of more frequent flats and the endurance casing has made some efforts to help in that area. Also if running tubeless the thorn flat hazard may be minimized or eliminated.

Both rolling resistance and comfort can be optimised with a supple sidewall and a wider tire and wight is always something that is good to minimise so I personally would be inclined to go more toward the lighter wider end of the scale in this compromise these days. I have always thought a supple sidewall was the way to go, but am only starting to believe in the fatter is better thing more in recent years. Not all of my bikes accomodate it though. If you go as wide as your frame will accomodate, you have no room for error if a wheel get wonky. So there is a compromise there between the widest tire possible and being able to limp along with a broken spoke or two.
You are right, the difference in weight is huge!

I am more doing lightweight touring or bikepacking, not packed with huge bags, so I do value lower weight.

I have good experience in terms of punctures with the Schwalbe Marathon (commuting), but also with the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance (road bike). I have even done some (unexpectedly) gravel roads with the Pro4 Endurance, and I have never punctured with those, in several years of riding. According to Bicyclerollingresistance.com, the Pro4 Endurance has a puncture resistance of 72, vs 124 for the Schwalbe Marathon Greenguard. But I think in reality, there is not much practical difference between the two. Perhaps you will flat once every 2000km vs once every 5000 km. That difference is not appreciable for me, and I'd rather have a faster, lighter and more supple tire I guess. I've never found the Schwalbe Marathon particularly comfortable, but I've never ridden it on a performance oriented bike, so cannot really judge.

I think I will lean more towards a puncture resistant road bike tire rather than a touring tire. Pure gravel tires are out I think, since they are too slow on pavement, and puncture resistance is not great either.

Thanks!