View Single Post
Old 07-08-21, 05:33 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4444 Post(s)
Liked 4,898 Times in 3,032 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Try removing a tubeless tire on the side of the road. I have broken levers. Tires are not infrequently unrepairable. I cannot tell you how many cyclists I have passed with tires destroyed. I do carry a spare tire. When I spent a year with tubeless, a repair meant booting, removing the tubeless valve, cleaning the mess, and inserting a tube. Just removing the tubeless tire from the rim was very, very hard. To put it back on, I had to carry a KoolStop tire jack. Oh, the fun. I tried three different rims and two different tubeless tires. I flatted almost every weekend on Schwalbe Pro Ones. A major PITA. No thanks. They were also slow dogs but not as bad as the Specialized tubeless. If you are still perplexed, how about explaining any advantage of tubeless? I rarely get flats. No more frequent than every 3-4,000 miles and sometimes much less frequent.
My experience fitting and removing road tubeless tyres is the total opposite to yours. Didn’t even need a plastic tyre lever, which is unusual for me. Also no flats in 2 years. So I don’t think your issues are inherent to tubeless tyres. Just some unfortunate combinations of tyres and rims. Or I’m just amazingly lucky!
Likes For PeteHski: