Old 05-29-21, 08:14 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
A bit of recon

This week I took my first road trip in about 2 years, because of what-cha-callit. Sort of a hub and spoke tour but I move the hub every day. Drive 2 hours, cycle a few hours, drive another 2 hours, cycle...... The first day was riding the new Maybrook Trail from Brewster to Hopewell Junction, NY - a pretty new trail, now part of the Empire State system. As expected it was pretty nice - fresh pavement mostly through the woods and past wetlands, ponds and lakes. It appears that the corridor has two sets of tracks and one has been removed for the trail while the other, unused and disabled, line is mostly still there. Some sections have weeds and conifers growing between the rails so the line has been unused for many years. It is also a line built for 40" rolling stock so the straights are as long as possible and the curves are gentle.

I parked in Brewster at the Southeast Town Park which is a mile or so from the very southern end. My antiquated odo read 23 miles when I reached Hopewell Junction and the seamless connection to the Dutchess Rail Trail. BTW: the very southern end of the Maybrook is a old rail overpass. There is a flight of stairs going from road level up to the trail. No parking at that very end and no at grade access.

When I set out going north I felt tired, like I was dragging a brick. I did not realize that the "level trail" was, actually up grade. Around half way to HJ is a info plaque that shows an elevation profile. The Maybrook northbound is up grade for about 1/3 of the way, crosses the Appalachian divide then down grade to HJ. Somewhere north of Holmes the trail flattens then goes down grade, past Whaley Lake then on to HJ. There once was a sign "Reynolds" that marked the high point but I did not see it. May no longer be there.

A very pleasant trip in perfect weather. I prefer early 1800's rail trails that twist and wind more (due to design for shorter rolling stock) but the Maybrook is pretty nice and being well used, even on a quiet Tuesday afternoon.
Likes For Prowler: