Old 07-11-21, 08:35 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
My choices are White Industry, Shimano XT or XTR and Chris King.
The WI are nice, have a good shiny look, sound fairly normal and roll smoothly. I bought the hubs from AVT which always seems to have some in stock, I've got them on my coss bike and wife's gravel bike.
XT hubs don't really ever seem to need maintenance though it is recommended from time to time. Mine roll as smoothly as the wife's WI when we're riding together, similar noise level and haven't needed anything in 3+ years. Will probably repack this winter but understand if you just don't want the annoyance or cost of a shop doing it.
CK, my hub of choice. I've got a set on my road bike which were used for 10 years on my first cross bike, wife has a set on her cross bike and I've got them on my MTB. The special tools are a waste of cash in my experience, I have both sets for the classic and r45 hubs and haven't had a need for them yet after almost 23 years on a set of hubs. All cleaning and adjustment is done with standard tools and the special tools are only to pull bearings which is a waste of time unless they fail and they virtually never do that. Currently have 5 sets in the house and never had a bearing failure and only clean and grease every few years when I think about it.
Any of them will build well. Can't recommend a builder, I do all my own wheels.