View Single Post
Old 05-09-20, 06:46 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1582 Post(s)
Liked 1,199 Times in 608 Posts
Originally Posted by NumbersGuy
The point is that it's not trying to go as far as a mountain bike. It's taking some mountain bike aspects and applying them to a design that's based more on a road bike to suit actually suit the needs of what people are doing and want to do with a bike, rather than trying to continue simply follow the mantra of more, more, more. Everyone doesn't want or need more dropper travel, more front end suspension, more slack front end. The type of riding this is designed for is well served by how they've designed it. Gravel riding has been seeing tremendous increases in popularity in recent years, and those actually doing it are looking for these types of additions. Future shock has been on the front end since the last gen Diverge and been a very well received feature. If someone wants a more dropper travel, more front suspension, etc. there are plenty of mountain bikes out there already to choose from.
I agree. This bike's geometry isn't quite my thing -- it is essentially a slightly less-slack version of current mtb xc geometry, using a very long front-centre combined with a short stem -- but I can certainly see the appeal. I think that when these become available they will sell very well.

You have described quite precisely why I bought my current (newish) bike: Specialized Sirrus X Comp carbon (now called the X 5.0). It came stock with 38s, but switched to my preferred 32s it does precisely what I wanted: quick/comfortable on-road and just fine on the kinds of non-technical gravel/dirt roads and trails I like to ride. At getting on for 69 yrs old I'm no longer interested in 'bombing' anything, but I still do like to go off-piste once in a bit.

I might add on another of your points that I (now) have Future Shock 2.0 (full hydraulic adjustable damping) on my bike. As you point out, it has been pretty well received, and I can say from direct experience that it is very, very effective at absorbing road noise and damping the effects of small hits/rough pavement and so on. Put another way: if I lock it out, which I can do on the fly, I notice the difference immediately. To others it might not matter; to me it does, and I'm very happy to have this feature.
Likes For badger1: