Old 09-15-19, 01:36 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Just figured I would clarify where the Katy is, in case the OP doesnt realize. It runs between KC and STL, which are 2 of the cities specifically mentioned as wanting to avoid and runs alongside the Missouri River which is also specifically stated as a river to avoid.

You needn't ride thru either of the cities, sure, but the trail(and arterial ones) connect to those cities and you ride along the Missouri River.

Riding the KATY sounds like about the worst trip you could choose, based on your comments. Also, New Orleans isn't in the midwest.

Sounds like holding off until the spring is a good idea since you dont have a bike, dont have new wheels for said bike, lost 1/3 of your expected ride time, don't know where you will ride, and dislike the location (FALSE) you mentioned wanting to ride to.
Machens to Clinton, and I can hit Machens via crossing the Clark bridge (which is a dang cool bridge!) I also happen to know where Ferguson MO is. I also know where Gary IN is. etc.... Obviously my reasons for avoiding certain areas went over your head. At this point I am going to assume that you all are intelligent. Thus the continuous misconstruing of reality, and your false picture painting with words, has to be intentional. The "location" is great, the Cities suck. Crime etc.. but I am sure changing cities to location was intentional.
As a State MO has a lot to offer, as does Kansas. Kansas City, St Louis on the other hand are terrible.

You all need to make less assumptions about me. Or at least learn a bit more before taking your jabs at me. I don't think that fits your agenda though.

If All I was going to do was ride the KATY trail then I'd ride one of a few capable bicycles. I do have multiple bikes. Heck I could even CC tour on my Supersix EVO, but Sep.Oct is my favorite time of the year. Warm dry air, colder nights. Usually clear skies. perfect tent weather.
Based on total weight, 20/24 spoke Allroads would do the Job. It isn't a permanent bikepacking bike. while I do buy what I want to buy. Carbon bicycles etc... I don't just Buy one wheelset for one ride then put them in storage. the Allroads moved to the top of the list because In my opinion they make the most reasonable choice for a solid rim bed wheel. While not the lightest, they are light enough.

If I was buying the Bombtrack Beyond 1. then yeah it is a 30 pound bike. I'll probably Run a heavier 32 spoke wheel.

and on a world apart from your bicycle world...... On a Carbon gravel bike (1,100 gram frame) that will mostly ride smooth gravel, and then multi day trip once a year. I am not investing in a heavy wheelset. I don't expect you, or a handful of others to understand this.

Scrolling through the Post Gravel ride pictures.... most of it I could do on a 28, but I'd probably pick the Bon Jon 35. Which is another reason for wanting a solid rim bed tubeless wheel. Swapping tires becomes a lot lot easier as does cleaning up old dried up sealant. and time I want I could just throw on 42 resolutes. or a 38G'one, or a 40 MSO

Bottom line , I ain't you. So stop thinking you know what best for me.