View Single Post
Old 01-23-20, 12:52 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked 3,594 Times in 1,237 Posts
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
I looked hard at the 35mm Bon Jovi or whatever the heck it's called. I ended up with the Panaracer slick Gravelking + tires because I know/trust the brand from the miles I've put on 32mm Pasela PT tires. They have essentially the same puncture resistance tech for the tread. I just have lots of nasty chipseal roads full of glass on my route. If I had better bike handling skills, I think I would buy the super supple Rene Herse tires, but for now I will see how the Gravelkings do. They're actually really similar tires, I just assume I'm giving up some weight and suppleness for at least a perceived benefit of durability.

EDIT: Actually, I guess Panaracer makes the tires for Rene Herse? and the Gravelking + is the same weight as the standard casing Bon Jon Pass? And the tread is basically identical? Not even sure what the real difference is at this point.
Gravelking slicks are good tires in my experience. I've run some 28s and had no major complaint, other than that they are super tight to get on and off the wheel.

Indeed Panaracer makes the RH tires. I'm not sure what exactly the secret sauce is for the Rene Herse stuff compared to the rest of Panaracer's offerings. I know that I've read something on their blog but Jan is a prolific writer and there's a lot there to dig through. I thing the gist of it is that they use some different fiber materials and maybe arrangements in the casing, and maybe do some other tweaks.