View Single Post
Old 10-29-20, 08:15 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8264 Post(s)
Liked 9,000 Times in 4,456 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey

Then I looked at a couple things - the water comes from a well, the heat is oil from a tank, the gas stove is propane, and the sewer is a septic system. That's a bit too much "independence" for me.
I have no idea on heating oil but it doesn't sound like a good thing. I had propane in the mountains and it wasn't any trouble, we just changed the jets on the dryer and the service tops the tank each month so you really don't have to think about it. I suppose it's more expensive than natural gas.
We had well water there and paid a flat rate of $200 per year if we stayed under a certain limit, which we always did. I guess it could be a pain if you had your own well but ours was a community service. A friend lived in the desert hills and spent thousands on dry wells and ended up having his water trucked in by a service.

The 2 places I lived with septic tanks were trouble free except a tree root got into the main line at the last rental and the landlord had to dig it up and replace a section of pipe, but that could happen with sewer pipe, too.