Old 09-14-21, 09:31 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
It seems I underestimated the construction timelines in the ravine on my route. I figured the project would be done by the end of the week, but based on what I saw today, I think it'll take a month. I think municipal construction crews have a philosophy similar to the Ents: nothing is worth doing unless it takes a long time to do.

So, when I approached the construction zone, all indications were that I would have no problem getting through. Not a single sign saying the trail was closed. In fact, there was a sign telling cyclists to dismount, which I ignored, but I kept my speed in check on the descent. After rounding a bend halfway down the hill, I saw a mini backhoe ahead, completely spanning the road, clearing out some small trees along the side. A flagman waved me down and told me the trail was "probably" closed at the other end. That would have been nice to know a kilometre ago. I didn't want to chance it, so I turned around and took a different route.

This required a fairly significant backtrack, where I picked up an overall longer route. Good thing I left home a bit early. After another descent on a long gravel trail, I had a choice: a fully paved street route, or a partial gravel and slightly longer trail route. I don't ride that trail route very often, and since I was already running late, I thought, what the heck, what's a few more minutes. It's a really nice trail, but the gravel was a bit wet, and loose in spots, and I don't think it will become my main route anytime soon, not on 28mm tires anyway.

Stopped on a bridge along the way to take a picture. It's a beautiful morning, sunny, chilly, and calm.

Likes For groovestew: