View Single Post
Old 07-10-22, 09:05 AM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 291 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Aufderheid was terrific. Gradual until the last 3 miles up to the Box Canyon campground where we had our lunch stop. It was really cool up there, and the ground was wet. It was humid, so I was wet from sweating up the climb. People were using the cardboard dividers from the boxes that held the lunches to sit on. The Forest Service had made a nice campfire. People were packed close like sardines trying to get some heat. I didn’t want to get back on the bike, but it was nicer by the time we got down to the dam. I think it’s called Cougar Dam. Went over McKenzie Pass the next day.
Yes! The Aufderheide is terrific. Another nice ride from the north end of the Aufderheide is to head east to McKenzie pass and head over to Sisters. If you time it right, you can ride it with no traffic as they plow it out around late May, but don't open the snow gates until around the 2nd week of June or so. I beleive CO has also used that road, but after it is open to cars. Traffic isn't too bad on McKenzie pass. It has a lot of tight hairpin corners so it's closed to semi trucks, trailers and big rvs. Most everyone who drives it is doing it for the scenery and is driving slow.

Last edited by mtnbud; 07-10-22 at 09:09 AM.