Ultrasherpa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Swing Crank

Originally Posted by Spearmin
Hi,

About 6 months since TKR and my operated knee won't bend enough for me to clip into my Spd pedal. It is painful to do so.

I am using double sided pedals. My right leg is fine and clips-in but I have to place my operated leg an inch or so further forward on the pedal than my right.
Advancing and severe hip arthritis & related issues from long-ago car wreck meant I could no longer ride starting about 3 years ago. I've been looking at recumbents & handcycles, not convinced those were the best route, and then I somehow stumbled across the concept of swing cranks - basically a pedal swing and crank shortener. It's specifically for people with severe ROM limitations in knee and hip. It's adjustable, if/as you regain ROM. There are several brands - I got the Easy Knees from T-Cycle. I feel like PTs & LBS need to know products like this exist but they don't seem to. We have a huge well-known LBS here and they were amazingly clueless when you consider how many people have these issues. Installed it last Wednesday and finished my third pain-free ride yesterday. TBH I thought I would never ride my bike again & was thisclose to selling it & now DH & I are thinking our Katy Trail roundtrip project may be within reach again. No idea if it would help you but possibly worth a look.