Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
Most of the time, no.

couple reasons

- how often do you go down such a steep hill to need this many gear inches without worrying for your safety? How often do you need that gear?

if you find yourself using it often, you're probably riding a mountain bike on pavement, and shouldn't.

like I said, unless your front chainring is too small, you can get more power from a 12t or 13t final cog when paired to the correct chainring.

you should be spinning, not mashing. 11t is for mashing. Most of the time it is too high of a gear to get any efficiency out of it, even if you need to go as fast as possible. I certainly feel like I can go faster with a 12t because it lowers the gear inches just enough to allow you to focus on a fast spin which really increases the efficiency of your top speed. Its the other way around.

you gotta try and judge for yourself. Even if I had a cassette with a 13t as the top gear and I found myself wanting more,.I would rather have the better spacing in the part of the cassette I use most often.
Sorry. My meaning was the chain going around a smaller circle translating more of the pull into friction of the chain. So I thought that say a 12 or 13t rear cog was more efficient than a 10t.

Again I could be wrong and am welcome to thoughts on it.