Old 10-19-21, 07:50 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
Figured I would revisit this thread after coming to a bit of a revelation with my thought process. My GT Zaskar LE is currently setup for my friend,.who is about 5'11 -

I decided to sell my Trek FX road bike as i wasn't using it enough which fortified by idea of wanting to eventually buy a gravel bike for secondary fast riding (i have an e bike for commuting and a carbon XC bike for trail riding.)

I tried giving this bike a quick ride and realized that I can build this bike up to be a great choice for what I need. Since you've already done something very similar, I figured you're the man to consult with.

The top tube length would be more like a drop bar size fit for me. I need drop bars for the neutral hand position. In the meantime I'm thinking of using a 120mm stem.

The drivetrain has been thrashed and abused and would need refreshing anyways. I want to use a 180mm crankset and then get some 26x1.9" gravel tires.

If I do decide to go drop bars one day, would you say it's worth it if I use a shorter stem?
What about bar ends? You get the neutral position without redoing your entire cockpit. May I ask why 180 cranks?