View Single Post
Old 03-07-18, 10:25 PM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Ok, I couldn't stand the suspense, so I've run down to my garage having dug out a usb cable and can see no impediment to to charging my Edge unit via a battery.

I can only assume Marcus's answer was incomplete in that perhaps it doesn't work with certain handlebars or if the Edge unit is positioned directly in front of the stem which might make accessing the port difficult.

Its a shame if thats the case as he may have put off a lot of people from enjoying the ownership of the new unit by stating it couldn't be done, when it can.

I disliked my Edge 1000 for the reason of needing to source a bent/angled cable for it which could be ordered but I've not found one in the couple of stores I went to and thus I kept forgetting to order one.
It wasn't a huge priority due to not having long distance toured for a while but it was a bugbear that I thought a PITA having previously had an 800 unit which was intuitive to set up by comparison.

No worries for me now I've put the issue to bed by finding one of my cables.
Because I use an Apple phone, I couldn't immediately recall where I'd hidden my alternative usb cables.

Regarding the possibility of difficulty of getting into Marcus's port, wouldn't an angled cable have sorted the issue of his Edge port being close to his stem?

I don't know, but hopefully he spots my post and offers an update.

The bottom line is for me, there is no problem accessing the usb port and charging the Edge 1030 unit with a standard non angled usb cable.

Last edited by rifraf; 03-07-18 at 10:36 PM.