Thread: Pedal Removal.
View Single Post
Old 11-24-22, 12:36 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
In 10 years of professional wrenching, I had never banged my knuckles on a chainring while trying to remove a pedal. I suppose for home mechanics without a stand it’s a pretty good common-sense idea.
That is excellent luck, I have seen plenty of professionals do it and I have done it myself. It is a good extra bit of caution, never hurts to do it and is just good practice and good to teach others. Having crushed a finger nail in a fixed gear cog on the bike I try to be a bit more careful these days. That one was really dumb trying to clean grease and whatever stuff I got in there to disinfect it which was stickier than I should have put on was quite painful. I had no real reason to rush, the old shop was open late and I was cleaning my bike and lubing the chain and just went a little too fast for some dumb reason.