View Single Post
Old 12-22-21, 04:44 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
A lot of them. I am always looking for stuff that will be epic, and I try to make every non-commute ride epic in it’s own way. But, some rides just stand out more than others, but because of my approach, for me there is no one favorite, but there are a few that are worth recalling. It helps that I take a lot of pictures on the bike, and I always upload at least one snap to Strava with every ride that isn’t a commute. So bear with me as I offer up my favorites of ’21, with short descriptions, and links to Strava if you care to see the tracks and photos.

#1) First Century for 2021. Rode the train to Kortrijk, and then proceeded to go up and over a bunch of famous Flandrien cobbled climbs. Yes, Paterberg, Oude Kwaremont, and Koppenberg featured in this torturefest, we finished climbing on the Muur van Gerardsbergen. The weather was sketchy, it had rained for several days, then it cleared in the morning, but the clouds and a light drizzle set in for the return to Brussels. It was perfectly Belgian.
#2) Muur de Huy Century. So the day prior to this I rode a nice metric+ century into Wallonia and on the ride comments a German friend of mine commented that I should go ride the Mur de Huy. Well, the weather the next day was froecastto be beautiful, no wind, sunny, and warm (10°C). So in a spur of the moment, I mapped it, and took off. And let me tell you, 19% for that long is emotional, and then you still have half the ride left…
#3) Highest Point in Belgium. Convinced a buddy of mine who as training to do Race Across France (as Race Across USA qualifier) to go with me. We rode 176km to get too the highest point in Belgium, which is 692m above sea level, but, if you climb the stairs to nowhere, you can stand 700m above sea level.
#4) Belgian exclaves for Frites. The next day, I had a hankering for some frites….and a visit to a part of Belgium that is entirely enclosed within The Netherlands. And it is not just one little enclave, but a series of them, some as small as one or two farm plots! Baale-Hertog they call it, and I visited. We aren’t out of February, yet…I promise it’ll slow down.
#5) First ride with the local club. We take a winter break, the club gets together informally, but not regularly. This was the first ride of the “pre”-season. We were all tired of COVID and really wanted a fast road ride, so we decided to get everyone together and go hammer. It was wet and messy, because it was still winter. But it was so much fun.
#6) KOMing home. First visit to my dad in three years, last time I was there, I buried my mom. I took a KOM I had eyeballed for 4 years…and then I proceeded to bag segment after segment all around my dad’s house for the next 10 days. It started a bit of a ruckus because some of the locals who didn’t know me (because I had moved away over 20 years ago) we’re not too happy at the “losses.” One of them knew me, and told them all to settle down, train harder and go take them back…so far none have been taken, but the clock is ticking…
#7) Back in the Schwarzwald. Had a long weekend, drove to Germany, and rode in the Schwarzwald again with another German friend. It was epic and worth the long drive to get there for it. Next summer, he and I are planning to do a Brussels to Stuttgart (or S->BXL) ride since it is planned to be my last summer in Europe. I love that guy.
#8) Grit! Gravel 130. A local gravel cycling consortium puts on several events each year. With COVID this was the first I could participate in for 2021. 130km, all sorts of surfaces: from tarmac to high quality gravel fire roads to single track and even some sand. It was cool to go ride an organized event.
#9) Rapha Prestige Tisvilde. Denmark! When someone says Denmark is cycling friendly, it’s not words. This ride was amazing. Even more so, my “team” vaporized. Plans changed, and life took over, so I went to Denmark alone to ride this. I hit up the Rapha store in Copenhagen, started a convo with one of the employees, next thing you know, I’m riding with the store! 2 days later we met up on the beach, and set off for a great ride all around northern Hovestaden. It was epically beautiful and fun.

I’m getting exhausted just reliving all of this. And there’s more…maybe another post tomorrow. Thanks for reading, if you clicked on the links, I hope the pictures were worth it.
Likes For Badger6: