Old 11-05-19, 02:12 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Do you use a HRM? What's happening there when you lose power? HR goes way down, skyrockets, stays the same as when you had good power? I know that when I lose power, I need to eat, preferably about 100 cal. of very fast carbs, like a gel or Shot Blok - even if I don't feel hungry. Have you tried that? My power drop is accompanied by a HR drop.

Edit: I meant to write 100 calories, corrected that.
Yes, I use a HR monitor. Doesn't everyone? (eyes rolling) Power drops way down. In fact, don't have much power. Eating does not help much. I go from around 18mph to 14mph. I struggle to keep it over 14mph. Yes, my HR goes down and there is not much to get it back up. I have noticed that this happens more often when it is hot. I don't ride mid day, but if it is hot in the morning, or getting hot then this usually puts me to sleep on the bike. Hydration? That could also be a key but basically I've found that as I age, the heat is far more my enemy than anything else. Note, I live in a hot climate where the average temp in the summer is 90+ so there is no avoiding riding in the heat. This is why we try and get out on the road by 8:00.

FWIW, I do plenty of gels and shot bloks too. Just seems like my power goes to nothing.

john