Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
This -
Originally Posted by John E
To answer the OP's question directly and succinctly, "No." I worry far more about being hit by some clown yakking or texting on the cellphone. I do not have any consistent family history of heart problems. Yes, I do know that people who live right, eat right, and exercise right are still known to have heart attacks, but many of them do have a genetic predisposition. We do the best with the hand we are dealt.
I'm now aged 64; my Dad died at 60 of a stroke, and all of his brothers died of coronary issues. The genetic deck is stacked against me so I figure to just keep doing what I enjoy until I fall over.

And about this -
Originally Posted by Outnumbered
I only worry about my heart when I take a long break from cycling every now and then.
Cycling is my primary form of exercise. If I take even a few days off I can sense changes in my body. The first thing that happens is I sleep less well. After that my legs begin to lose tone, and it become harder to navigate steps and stairs.

And about this one -
Originally Posted by UKFan4Sure
I just don't allow anyone to dictate my pace. When going on group rides, I'm "drop" conscious. If the group isn't used to slower pacers (I'm at 14-15 mph), then I don't ride with that group. I also check the terrain of the ride. If it has hefty climbs on the ride, I decline. I'll do climbs, but at my own leisure and pace, not with a group that will be impaired by my inability to keep up. Climbing is my real downfall due to the cardio rates involved. And if they are pacing at >15, forget it.
On two different occasions while on group rides I've had negative experiences with people who seem to resent my pace. They want to go fast, and pressure everyone else to go fast. It's an ego thing and they are apparently blind to it. So, I ride with my wife, or with a few close friends who enjoy a leisurely pace and the conversation that can go with it.

I am becoming interested in a heart-rage monitor, not because I'm obsessed on the health of my heart, but out of curiosity about the data to be seen in terms of cycling on differing grades and surfaces.

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...
Likes For BookFinder: