View Single Post
Old 05-05-22, 09:54 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Biker395 , thanks for sharing your experience with the UTI/Prostatitis. I feel your pain, and wish you the best with your recovery. I was quite concerned with the scenario you describe for yourself, but it appears I am on the right path. I had a 4 week follow up with the urologist this morning. I was as sure as I could be that the prognosis would be good, which it was. The doctor was a bit surprised at how well I am recovering, with the prostate having shrunk considerably already. I have a history of being a quick healer, that still seems to be the case. I will be staying on the Tamsulosin and the Finasteride and have a 6 month follow up scheduled.

I have been doing some shorter, slow paced rides before this check up, and picked it up a bit this past weekend. I am riding a couple of bikes that are set to be a bit more upright, one with mustache bars, and the other with a Velo-Orange Porteur handlebar. I am going to have to get serious about figuring out what I bikes to keep with what set ups. Not a bad problem to have. I have done a couple longer rides in the past few days, including a 35 miler at 16 mph average. That is my longest and quickest ride of the year. Man, it felt good and I really enjoyed it. Such a mental pick up, I was almost euphoric for the rest of the day.
My only concern about what your doc was treating you with was the use of Cipro for an antibiotic resistant ecoli infection. Not only does Cipro have nasty side effects (as noted by others here), but also, when they refer to an ecoli strain as being antibiotic resistant, they typically mean it is resistant to Cipro and Bactrim ... the two antibiotics most often used. The antibiotic that may have resolved the infection for me (fosfomycin) is pretty unusual stuff, and not typically prescribed for this purpose, but at least it had hope of clearing things up.

Did you ever get a look at the susceptibility report? It's not typically provided unless asked for, and I'm sure glad I saw mine.

In any case, whatever you were taking apparently is doing the trick, and that's great!