View Single Post
Old 08-14-22, 09:10 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
why not set up a pole with various distance and difficulty criteria? Just a thought
Mainly because there are simply far too many options, and I'm sure if I tried, I would miss some.
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Yes to all of the above...I would say that 95% of all my rides are Zone 2 rides. The only time I do hard efforts above Zone 2 is when I have to climb a hill or ride through some technical sections of singletrack or ride through deep snow.. ..I don't race, I don't follow any structured training, I don't use my bike for HIIT intervals, I don't count calories or watts, I don't imitate the pros, I don't obsess about performance. I just love getting outdoors and enjoying the ride and the world around me. My training is done at home using weights.
What is "Zone 2"?
Originally Posted by BobbyG
The third type of ride is when I feel like riding, but can't find the motivation to just go ride, I tell myself, "The motivation is out there waiting to be found."...and it always is. Always.
I like this! I can relate as I've done the same thing, just not put it into words. There have been times when I kind of just didn't want to get out of the house, for whatever reason. But I pushed myself to mount my bike, or put on my running shoes or whatever, and the next thing I know I've left all that behind.
Originally Posted by downtube42
Short ride of a mile to the local coffee shop or brewpub, long ride of 400 km/day on a brevet. I don't really find my rhythm until about 40 miles; sometimes it doesn't happen at all, but when it does it's pretty sweet. I think it's a matter of finding equilibrium. From there, the perfect ride is one where I can maintain that balance with fueling, hydration, and pacing all day long.
What's a "brevet"? I can't even imagine doing 400km/day.

One thing I think a lot of people don't get about the desert is how towns/cities are like islands in the ocean. There can be 50 or 100 miles in between towns/cities, and absolutely NOTHING in between. That can put a damper on planning long rides like that. There are no coffee shops or convenience stores to get something to drink or use the restroom. If you have a mechanical issue, you're fixing it there or your walking home. Where I live, it's about 45 miles from the last 7/11 in town to the nearest 7/11 in Vegas with nothing in between .