View Single Post
Old 11-23-22, 05:07 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Honestly, there is nothing that you can do to improve the action of your rear cantilever brake. The problem isn’t with the brakes but with the design of the bike. You can improve the action slightly by going with longer cable housing on the front but that will only be a slight improvement. The problem is the tortuous route of the cabling on the rear brake. The red line in the picture below is the route of the cable. It has two rather sharp bends in the housing to get the cable to align with the brake straddle cable. The cable simply can’t move freely enough.

If the cable could run along the green line, the brakes would work much better but you can’t have the cable just hanging in air and make it work either.

If you are going to replace the bike to replace the rear triangle, you should get a bike with a larger front diamond frame but a change in material won’t make this frame work better.
I think you are saying "action" to mean the feel of the brake. I mostly agree with you that there is going to be a ceiling to how well the rear brake will feel. That cable routing is tortuous, but I do think the OP can improve brake performance with new pads. A new brake could also improve things too since those cantilevers with plastic arms can flex and reduce brake feel as well.