View Single Post
Old 04-23-22, 10:00 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10440 Post(s)
Liked 11,914 Times in 6,101 Posts
Some folks have more money and/or different priorities. I've long since reached the point where I know I'll never own a $10,000 bike, just as I'll never own a $100,000 car. I'm okay with that. Sure I kinda envy the guys with the latest 12 speed, electronic shifting, flyweight frame with carbon wheels. I'm glad those bikes exist, because they demonstrate a combination of passion for excellence and the continuing push of progress. They're combination of art and engineering, the current pinnacle of what a bike can be.

But I'm still happy to throw a leg over a 40 year old, 21lb steel bike, and take it out and use it to the limits of my meager abilities. Yes, my 2 year old CF bike continues to be faster than any of my older bikes, on the same routes. Consistently. But it's not leaving the others for dead. If it was A Good Bike 40 years ago, and it's performing at that level, it's still A Good Bike. I don't ride old bikes to "flex", though I will admit that it feels kind of good being an old fat guy on a 40 year old bike passing younger riders on fancy new bikes, but that's not why I ride the old bikes.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: