MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
Good info above. I would add the following:

1. Someone above mentioned Betadine "scrub." Do not use anything called "scrub"on a wound. Scrubs are antiseptic cleansers formulated for sterilizing intact skin, e.g., before surgery. They will kill viable tissue in a wound, inhibit healing, and predispose to infection. Instead use povidone iodine antiseptic solution to disinfect wounds after cleansing with running water in the shower or schpritzing them out with a syringe or something.

2. As mentioned above, a surprisingly large number of people are allergic to neosporin and bacitracin and the inflammation produced by the skin reaction can look like infection to the unpracticed eye. My totally personal preference, which no one should take as a recommendation, is to avoid antiseptic ointments and stick to Vaseline or Aquaphor, or generic equivalent, unless there is a particular concern for infection--deep wounds, questionable initial cleaning, austere or marine environment, or wound near the groin.

3. I am very fond of Spenco Second Skin® burn pads for road rash. They are wet slabs of gel (cellulose?), which really do not stick and involve no greasy ointments. No idea how they stack up against conventional dressings in clinical trials, but the cool factor is awesome. If someone knows more and they're terrible, I need to hear that.

4. Keeping RR covered and moist is very effective for pain.

5. Memories of crashing are probably the main thing keeping me from attempting to go back to racing, now that I'm back on the road bike and in shape after a few decades of doing other things.

6. Please correct any errors in the above. I am here to learn, as well as to bloviate. Yes, I am a health care professional, but a highly academic one and hyperspecialized in an area totally unrelated to road rash.