View Single Post
Old 12-09-21, 11:24 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
I have an older 2000s mountain bike that I'm happy with but couldn't resist trying out a bike at my LBS

It was a Trek Marlin 8

Here's what I learned from my 1 bike sample :
1) 1x drivetrain seems nice for MTBs as long as range is there. Performs very well
2) With 1x drivetrain, the need for external bottom bracket seems gone (I think they are a big benefit to stiffness for front derailleur systems)
3) I love the Rockshox Judy air shock. The technology has really improved with one hand lockout and resistance adjustment. Super smooth performance
4) Hydraulic disc brakes feel great on the levers and are quite responsive.
5) While bikes have gotten more expensive imho, you get even more for your money than ever before.
6) I like the look of internal cable routing. Not sure how much of a pain it will be to service though
7) Aluminum frame design has progressed quite a bit with interesting tube shapes
8) To get great quality with modern components, $1K USD seems to be the entry point. For all modern standards and features (DUB, thru axel, dropper post) $2K seems to the where it starts
Agree with your assessments (FME). Some of the so-called "improvements" are/may be good for racers, but not needed for trail riders. I'm very happy with QR's, "English" BB's and "regular" seat posts. I won't mind progressing from 9-speed to 12 some day in the future when my Niner hardtail is replaced though.