View Single Post
Old 01-18-22, 10:14 PM
majmt 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 1,101 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Always figure out why you had a flat in the first place. Check your tire, rim strip and rim and make sure there is no damage or anything stuck in it or anything like that. You had an initial flat for a reason and if you don't know what that reason was it is easy to repeat. Also be careful installing a new tube, make sure you have a little bit of air in the tube first and be careful using tools, The Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack is acceptable as needed but sometimes a little practice and a little extra knowledge will come into handy. Plenty of great videos on how to do it but Park Tool probably has one of the better one's I have seen but just take your time and don't feel you need to rush and in the end you will have a more positive result.
Good summary. So important to check the inside of the tire for some small embedded pokey thing that worked it’s way through the tread. I have some wheels with very tight fitting tires so I carry a Kool Stop anymore (you only need one and maybe a couple of good levers) and no more crying. I also thumb my nose at Rule 60 and actually use the small washer nut to help make sure the valve stem stays straight and fixed in position against the rim when fussing around seating the tire.