Old 01-28-22, 09:02 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I followed your dot. The only time I was concerned was when it disappeared up a holler in eastern Kentucky.
Probably encounter 2 with dogs when they took me down in a hollow. I took some time to recompose myself and clean up the road rash

The funniest part if I can remember.... A cement truck was behind me and fortunately he stopped. The very nice fellow got out of the truck to help me and then says, "Did you done see that, the one dog got caught in your wheel and you crashed" as I lay there bleeding, my insides were laughing. Yup, I saw it all in slow motion. I don't know why but that makes me laugh to this day.

You know the age old advice not to burn matches on a brevet. I think that applies to riding in general and maybe gets to OP's point about stress. I'll climb at tempo or less if I can (Millbrook excepted as that on is all hands on deck) and honestly think that in the end the brevets are easier. Pacing. I've tried to read and learn about fatigue on long rides over the years. The topic is not well researched, I've even had gotten that from the famous Exercise Physiologists. The best data point I have is studying power files of top endurance racers and knowing their FTP (I have asked some) that it seems they never go more than 75% of FTP at the start and over the many hours, their power levels go down. It just seems they are working hard by their speed but in reality many times they are at 70% of FTP. I like Dr. Phil Maffetone approach in his Big Book of Endurance Racing and Training, it is very much aligned with minimizing stress. His view is to build a big aerobic engine and only do anaerobic work sparingly. Mark Allen followed this approach and won what was it every Ironman alive for a decade? I followed it and it bumped my aerobic threshold considerably.....this not functional threshold, it is the power level where you start to produce lactate or more glycolic metabolism rather than just pure aerobic. The book is hard to read but his formula is simple. As long as I ride at least 5 times per week and stay below the HR level he recommends, I get fitter and fitter over many months and I do not feel stress. Is this lack of oxidative stress? I'll dig out the book to see.
Likes For GhostRider62: