Old 06-03-21, 04:28 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
the webites for both Continental and Swalbe let you sort their tires by puncture rating.

But having said that as far as tubed tires go you won't find much of anything more highly rated than the marathon pluses. I rode the cowboy trail in Nebraska on a set of marathon plus MTB tires because I was concerned about poor trail conditions. Between all the puncture belts and half inch deep lugs on the tires I can honestly say they are goathead proof. I didn't realize how many the tires were picking up until I transitioned to smooth pavement and wondered what all the tapping noises were. Pulled a half dozen from each tire.

Having said that the first thing I did when I got back was remove those nearly new tires and get rid of them. The tire alone weighed over a kilo each. These are 26 inch wheels. God awful miserable things, rode horribly, stupid slow accelerating. Simply not worth it.

Next time I ride that trail it will be on gravelking SK tires set up tubeless. The ride is night and day different and my guess they will prove as puncture reistant.