Old 12-13-23, 03:47 AM
Ric Stern

Bikes: Handsling AIROevo and CEXevo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
"Lift heavy for biggest gains" seems to be the consensus for endurance athletes, but the studies to support that are hard to find. Most studies tend to test only heavy weights, so there's not much to compare.

On the other hand, there are a few studies that compare different weight/reps, and they suggest medium weight/high reps produce superior endurance gains.
Originally Posted by Hermes
Hi Ric:

It is great to have an actual coach show up in training and nutrition with experience and credentials. Like most everyone else, I just ride these things.

My question is: how do you recommend testing to determine ones 1RM. Is there a warmup protocol leading to a 1MR?
Thanks. Personally, i feel it's better that you progress 'gently' and given i have no idea where you are in your strength training it's difficult to suggest. So, when i started my strength training 2 years i started gently. I didn't even bother testing my 1RM until i'd been doing things for maybe a year or just under. Until that point i progressed steadily and went by feel (and given that i'd not strength trained previously - other than a very brief spell 40 years ago - it all felt heavy).