View Single Post
Old 04-06-22, 01:32 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
I'm all for new tech that makes a positive difference to my cycling.

Carbon frames/forks = major positive difference to me for racing.
Electronic Groupset = mostly minor but on occasion significant positive difference. (In general riding, no difference really albeit nice, but in sprints, especially when racing, it has helped me change more smoothly and faster).
Disc brakes = positive difference. They absolutely stop better but the downside is maintenance; they need more attention. I have 2 road bikes, one disc and one calliper SRAM Red with very good pads. very good stopping power, still no match for disc if really honest. I like both but for fast descents, wet weather etc, disc all the time now. On my MTB, an absolute must.
Carbon wheels = major positive. I used to break my rims back in the old days eventually. I haven't broken a carbon rim and I have thrashed my wheels on cobbles and gravel.
Tubeless = positive difference to my MTB, saved many punctures, but on my road bikes no. Not a convert for road.
Power meters = positive difference; I am a convert to how they help achieve training goals vs how it used to be back in the 80's/90's when I last raced.
Strava = positive difference. I only discovered it two and a half years ago! In conjunction with Training Peaks for logging my rides and data, I like the training motivation it can offer; I do chase those KOM's, especially those with Pro's leading them - they mean diddly squat but help in the moment to push that bit harder.

Last edited by AlgarveCycling; 04-06-22 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Add tubeless
Likes For AlgarveCycling: